This question has been a hot topic of discussion since ventless fireplaces were introduced to the market. Searching around on the Internet will just confuse you more as to whether ventless gas fireplaces are safe or dangerous. So, let’s play devil’s advocate on both sides of the argument and let you come to your own conclusion.

This amenity is offered in many newly built homes. Construction codes being as they are, it could not be offered unless it was “safe.” When these types of fireplaces where first used, fire safety experts warned against them for several reasons. However, in recent years, some of these experts have changed their tune, but not all of them.

The problem most agree on is that when you are burning gas, there should be an outlet for the fumes to escape, otherwise everyone in the home is at risk. There have been complaints, even with the most modern of designs, that over time, there seems to be a buildup of residue inside the home on the walls and windows.

Manufacturers of these devices say they are completely safe to use, of course. They are designed to automatically turn off if there is any danger of combustion. However, we all know no device is perfect or completely fail-safe. Are you willing to risk the safety of your home and family on the small chance that your ventless fireplace is defective?

Technically, ventless gas fireplaces are safe, but you will find just as much resistance to them as you will find supporters. Supporters of ventless fireplaces will tell you there are also risks involved with vented fireplaces, such as creosote buildup. Detractors will argue back that these problems are preventable and easily addressed with chimney inspections and cleanings on an annual basis. In the end, only you can truly decide if this is the right solution for your home.