Carbon Monoxide is not something you want in or around your home

Carbon Monoxide is not something you want in or around your home

When you have a family, nothing is worse than the constant fear of them being hurt.  If you own a chimney in your home, this fear is usually multiplied, but it doesn’t have to be.  It is important to know the risks, warning signs, and steps you should take if something does go wrong.  Carbon monoxide poisoning is one illness that homeowners do not know enough about.  This is one of the main reasons to keep all appliances maintained.  For any chimney or fireplace questions you may have, call American Chimney and Masonry.

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas released from appliances, chimneys, cars and other things in and around your home.  Once the gas enters your blood stream it competes with your oxygen levels, and before you know it you will be feeling symptoms because you cannot smell or see the gas around you.  The symptoms of CO poisoning range from nausea, dizziness, and headache to chest pains and fatigue after you have been exposed for a long period of time.

What do you do if you think CO is in your home?

If you or others in your home start to feel some of these symptoms, you should immediately leave the area and call for help to have the area inspected.  Even if you shut off whatever may be omitting the gas, the room will still need time to air out.  It is then important to go get checked out by a doctor to make sure you have not taken in too much.  Usually small cases can be treated in office, but more severe cases will require some hospitalization where you will receive oxygen.

How can you prevent CO from filing your home?

It is important to regularly have your chimney swept and any repairs that your chimney may need done in a timely fashion.  If you do not have your chimney swept, creosote can build up causing a blockage and this bad air cannot exit the home.  You can also buy alarms to install throughout your home to alert you when levels are high. These can be linked together to sound al throughout the home if you have a large floor plan.  It is important to remember that these are not be used in place of smoke detectors, but rather are an added preventative measure.

Call Now