Are You Having Fireplace Draft Issues?
Draft refers to the chimney system’s pull of air, smoke and combustion byproducts up and out of the home. As long as the hot air is able to rise and leave the chimney and home, things will run smoothly. But unfortunately, there are a variety of things that can impair draft and lead to an inefficient, unsafe and often smoky fireside experience. Are you noticing smoke wafting out of your fireplace? If you’ve checked to make sure that your damper is fully opened, but you’re still noticing smoke or odors, call us! We’re troubleshooting and diagnostics pros!
Some Of The Most Common Causes Of Draft Problems Include:
- Closed or Broken Damper – First things first: is your damper opened? For years, metal dampers have been installed in the “throat” of the chimney system. Unfortunately, these don’t provide the best seal and they frequently rust, corrode, stick or break. If you think your damper may be the reason for your draft issues, ask us about new energy-saving top-sealing dampers!
- Pressure Problems/Inadequate Air Supply – When the air pressure inside of the home is off, the hot air and byproducts can get trapped in the chimney or backdraft into the home. Other appliances in your home may be competing with your fireplace, stove or insert for air, and if no new air is introduced, the other appliances will take it from the chimney. This is actually a relatively common problem in newer homes, which are built to be air-tight. Opening a door or window can sometimes help, as can preheating your flue, installing glass doors, or having an outside air source added. We will be more than happy to help you identify the best fix for your situation!
- Improper Flue Size/Improper Fireplace Opening – If your flue is too large or too small for your appliance, your chimney will have a hard time functioning properly. Have you had a new appliance recently installed? Was your flue checked for size compatibility? If we need to reduce the size of your flue, we can reline with a durable new stainless steel liner; if we need to reduce the size of your fireplace opening, we can install a smoke guard, which will simply prevent the fireplace from taking in more air than the flue can expel.
- Flue Obstructions – Many times, smoke backs up into the home because something is obstructing air flow within the flue. This obstruction could be an animal, nesting materials, debris, or even creosote buildup. A simple chimney inspection and sweeping before each burn season can keep your flue clean and ready to go.
- Improper Installation/Poor Design – If your fireplace, stove or insert was installed improperly or was poorly designed and constructed, your draft problems could certainly stem from the start. The techs at American Chimney & Masonry can take a look at your appliance, and identify whether or not installation or design flaws are the source of your problems.
Call The Experts!
Your draft problems could even be caused by a clogged chimney cap or related to the type of wood you’re burning. Whatever the source, the technicians at American Chimney & Masonry can get to the root and fix it. We’ll have you enjoying your appliance again in no time – call 503-644-0393 or click here to schedule your appointment today!
Portland Chimney Repair – Service Area
Located right here in Oregon, our Portland chimney sweep technicians provide the best in chimney repair, fireplace installation and dryer vent care in the Greater Portland-Metro area. From NE Portland down to SE Portland, Tualatin and Oregon City in the south, from Pleasant Valley in the east to Beaverton and Sherwood in the west – when it comes to your chimney, fireplace and vents, we hope you’ll call American Chimney & Masonry! We are the most trusted Portland Chimney Repair company!
Ready To Make A Chimney Sweep Appointment?
To schedule an appointment with one of our expert chimney repair technicians, please call 503-644-0393. With over 19,000 satisfied customers since 1989, we are ready for more! We look forward to visiting with you soon about your fireplace and chimney sweep needs.